Sunday, July 14, 2013

New Apartment


As of Tuesday, July 9th, we have unpacked our 6 suitcases and slept at a new apartment !!

Our next and final move, will be across the hall when our own apartment is completed. The building we are in has 8 apartments + 1 main floor retail space. The building is very secure, brand new and has been built with very good quality materials.

So far we are the only ones living in the building. Everything is new and clean, which is very unusual in Mozambique.

We have been asked to not give any money to the poor beggars but we can give them food. Mom will buy extra bread or oranges to give to them when we are approached.

Isabel, has been the District Relief Society President for the past 5 years. She works as a maid and works for 4 hours for $5 !! Yes, $1.25/hour. The cost of food, gasoline and rent is more expensive here than at home, but the cost of labor is extremely cheap.

Today, we attended the Beira 2nd branch. This is perhaps the strongest branch in the Beira District. There were perhaps 200 people present with a lot of children. Their block of meetings begin at 8 AM ! 




Mom met a woman there from Zimbabwe who speaks English. This woman invited us to dinner and we went to this small block building in which the front door was only a curtain! At dinner we learned that their family joined the Church in March of this year. The family has 2 children living with them, so with us there were 5 people, but only 3 plates. The two children used bowls. We had rice, fish, salad, somossa, banana and bottled water. We left feeling very humble and appreciative of our beautiful apartment. 

I was reminded of this poem:


Today, upon a bus, I saw a girl with golden hair.
I envied her, she seemed so gay, and wished I was as fair.
When suddenly she rose to leave, I saw her hobbled down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch.
And as she passed... a smile.

Oh God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 legs, the world is mine
I stopped to buy some candy. The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with him, he seemed so glad.
If I were late, it'd do no harm.
And as I left, he said to me, "I thank you, you've been so kind.
It's nice to talk with folks like you. You see," he said, "I'm blind."
Oh God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 eyes, the world is mine.
Later while walking down the street,
I saw a child with eyes of blue.
He stood and watched the others play.
He did not know what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said,
"Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He looked ahead without a word. And then I knew,
he couldn't hear.
Oh God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 ears, the world is mine.
With feet to take me where I'd go.
With eyes to see the sunset's glow.
With ears to hear what I'd know.
Oh God, forgive me when I whine.
I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine........
~ Red Foley

We are trying to plan for Chanelle to come visit us from Uganda. Even though Mozambique and Uganda are both on the East part of Africa there are no direct fights between these countries. Don't worry though, if Mom wants something done, she will find a way to make it happen !!

Love ya lots!


No comments:

Post a Comment