Monday, November 4, 2013

Transfer Week

On Saturday Mom and I, together with the other senior couple (Dille) went with the João & Kelly Bueno family (3 teenage boys) to a type of beach resort about 1 1/2 hours away. The beach was nice but probably not that much better than the one we can walk to from our apartment.
However, I did get some type of stomach flu from the meal we had and was not able to write on Sunday.

Yesterday, Mom led the Beira 1 primary as they sang 'I am a child of God' in Sacrament meeting. The overall reverence and performance (without a pianist) was an A-, but given the resources/experience Mom had to work with, I would rate it an A+ !

After the Beira 1 Sacrament meeting, I left for meetings to go to Dondo praying along the way that I could complete my assignments. Fortunately, 15 minutes before the end of Sacrament meeting in Dondo, I  was able to find an empty restroom. After leaving most of my meal from the day before, I temporarily felt better.

While I was driving it occurred to me that I was being blessed as a direct result of the prayers that had been offered on my behalf.

I have always loved this statement about prayer. I think it was one of the first statements that I memorized.

"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings." 
 (Bible Dictionary, Prayer)

Additionally, the scriptures seem to distinguish the blessings that come because righteous people prayed.

"the prayers of the faithful shall be heard" (2 Ne. 26:15) 

"Yea, and I say unto you that if it were not for the prayers of the righteous, who are now in the land, that ye would even now be visited with utter destruction; yet it would not be by flood, as were the people in the days of Noah, but it would be by famine, and by pestilence, and the sword.  But it is by the prayers of the righteous that ye are spared;" (Alma 10:22-23)

 "And there had been murders, and contentions, and dissensions, and all manner of iniquity among the people of Nephi; nevertheless for the righteous’ sake, yea, because of the prayers of the righteous, they were spared." (Alma, Chapter 62:40) 

"And also the Lord will remember the prayers of the righteous, which have been put up unto him for them." (Mormon 5:21)

Thomas S. MonsonAs President Thomas S. Monson has said many times: 

Prayer can solve more problems, alleviate more suffering, prevent more transgression, and bring about greater peace and contentment in the human soul than can be obtained in any other way."
 
Now for something you don't pray for.....Here are a few photos of termite mounds !


This one should be in the Guinness Record Book ! 

 
 Love you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment