Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (Prov. 3:5)‏

This week I had three separate experiences that have helped me to trust more in Heavenly Father, while trying to continue to lean not on my own understanding....

The first experience was while driving our truck. I was stopped at an intersection, that I was very familiar with, in the process of making a left turn (here they drive on the left so this would be similar to making a right turn in the U.S.) and I was only looking to my right, the direction of the oncoming traffic in the lane closest to me. As I began to move forward I suddenly felt prompted to stop and look  in the opposite direction. As I stopped,  a pedestrian had to jump out of the way as he had crossed in front of our truck. We waved at each other and I went on my way realizing the heavenly warning I had received which prevented an auto pedestrian accident.

The second experience happened on Monday, March 24th. Mom and I had walked on the beach and after arriving at our normal spot, I sat down in the sand and watched for Mom as she does an additional 5 laps. Upon returning home I went to put my sunglasses back in the truck and only then realized that somehow I had misplaced the keys to the truck as well as the key to our apartment. We quickly walked back to the spot where I had been sitting and from fifty (50') feet away I could see the keys in plain site. At no point was I prompted to check my pocket or to look next to where I was sitting. Additionally, my pants have a Velcro pocket which makes it even more difficult to lose the keys. Nonetheless, the keys had fallen unnoticed from my pocket.

In the middle of this photo in front of the large rock are my keys laying in the sand. This photo was taken a few days after the actual event, as I didn't have my phone/camera with me when the keys were left. On the day I left the keys there were a couple fisherman close by.


 The third experience occurred this morning while studying the scriptures (Mom was with the District Young Women on a march from the one large grocery store (Shoprite) to the chapel in Beira). See if you can find Mom in this first photo....




I was studying D & C 88, which in and of itself could provide several years worth of Sacrament meeting talks based upon the multiple concepts that are included in this "olive leaf...plucked from the Tree of Paradise, the Lord's message of peace to us."

Verse 11 is speaking of Jesus Christ and the light of Christ:

 "And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understandings;" (D & C 88:11) 

All the light in the world, either from the sun or man made sources is because of Jesus Christ. "the light which shineth, which giveth you light".

Additionally, our eyes ability to see light is because of Jesus Christ. "is through him who enlighteneth your eyes" 

He gives us light and also enlighteneth our eyes and if we recognize Christ as the source will "quickeneth your understandings" (plural)

You will probably recall that we attended General Conference in October 2011 when President Boyd K. Packer said: 

"It is not expected that you go through life without making mistakes, but you will not make a major mistake without first being warned by the promptings of the Spirit. This promise applies to all members of the Church." (Counsel to Youth) 

In the first experience, I had been warned by the Spirit which prevented a major mistake. The second experience is interesting because even though I feel I was worthy of having the companionship of the Spirit, I at no point was prompted about having left the keys. This reminded me about how Nephi learned that The Lord is always in control.

 Nephi learned to "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding" 
(Prov. 3:5).
The killing of Laban "who had fallen to the earth before [him] ...drunken with wine" (1 Ne. 4:7.) After "the Spirit" speaks to him three times he says: "I did obey the voice of the Spirit...and smote off his head with his own sword" (1 Ne. 4:18). Never again in the book is this incident mentioned. Perhaps, Nephi never tells his family about it. If he had it would seem that Laman & Lemuel would have tried to use this against him during their "rebellions" (2 Ne. 1:2; Alma 18:38).
While returning from Jerusalem with Ishmael's family, his brothers Laman and Lemuel rebel and desire to return to Jerusalem. Nephi exhorts them to have faith in the Lord. Nephi says his brothers "were angry with me...that they did lay their hands upon me...they did bind me with cords , for they sought to take away my life,...But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou...give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound. And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet" (1 Ne. 7: 16-18). He asks according to his faith to be given strength to burst the cords, but the Lord causes them to be loosed from his hands and feet.

About eight years later, Nephi is commanded to build a ship. His brother think he is fool, they do not believe he can build a ship and that it can cross the ocean (see 1 Ne. 17:17-18) Nephi speaks to them, they become angry with him and desire again to take away his life, this time by throwing him into "the depths of the sea; and as they came forth to lay their hands upon me I spake unto them, saying: In the name of the Almighty God, I command you that ye touch me not...and whoso shall lay his hands upon me shall wither even as a dried reed...for God shall smite him" (1 Ne. 17: 48). His brothers were confounded and "neither durst they lay their hands upon me nor touch me with their fingers, even for the space of many days....And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: Stretch forth thine hand..unto thy brethren, and they will not wither...but I will shock them, saith the Lord...And it came to pass that I stretched forth my hand unto my brethren, and they did not wither...but the Lord did shake them.." (1 Ne. 17: 52-54).
The ship is built and after sailing for "many days" Laman and Lemuel become angry with Nephi and they "did take me and bind me with cords....nevertheless, the Lord did suffer it..." 
(1 Ne. 18: 11) 

Nephi learns that that Lord is always in control. Perhaps he can burst cords as in the case of Alma and Amulek while in prison who pray "O Lord, give us strength according to our faith which is in Christ, even unto deliverance. And they broke the cords with which they were bound" (Alma 14:26) or perhaps he can loose the cords. One day he may tell Nephi to shock them and the next day require that Nephi be bound for four days and wait for his brothers to reach the point in which they "loosed the bands" (1 Ne. 18:15) After these four days in which his wrists and ankles were "swollen exceedingly...and great was the soreness thereof. Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." (1 Ne. 18:15-16)
After the death of his father Lehi, Nephi records this prayer: "O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh;" (2 Ne. 4:34)

How great it is for us to be serving as missionaries!  As of today, only eight (8) months left.

I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment