Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...‏

Hi guys,
It's midnight and we have to get up early (more on that later...) 
so I'm gonna be brief.  "Just the facts, Ma'am."
     But first: (drumroll, please....) CONGRATULATIONS TO 
JASON FOR GETTING ADMITTED INTO THE MBA PROGRAM!!!! 
We are way happy for and proud of you!!  Way to go!! 
    Ok, back to the facts: It was transfer week so Monday the elders 
all raced to the internet places to see what the changes were. 
They had heard that there were going to be a lot and they were 
right - we had 31 elders either coming or going to Beira, which
 meant that we made a lot of trips to the airport on. Our last one 
on Monday was late and we didn't get home Til 1:00 am - so tired!!
 

I had to entertain these guys


 while we waited for the others to take a group shot.


Tuesday was staff meeting but it started an hour later because of transfers so we had to leave early because we had an appoinntment at the Portuguese consulate with one of our elders to help him get a visa for Portugal. He's from Maputo but has been called to Portugal so he's been serving here I Beira while he waits for his visa to Portugal. We also met Carlotta at the consulate for Dad to help her with her visa. She's local girl from Manga who's been called to serve in Portugal and had been having difficulty navigating the Portugal red-tape, so Tualufo (who's in the office) called and asked Dad to help her. She's a cutie - spunky, lively, and laughs full-on. We like her a lot!!
Success! Well, they don't have visas yet but they've cleared the next step. Getting visas is a major pain. The last elder had to go to the consulate 10 times before he got his visa. I played word games with the elder's companion while we waited in the waiting room for all of them to go through the process. He was a lot better than I am...;).
Anyway, here's Carlotta being schooled by Dad.


And with me and her sister, who came along with her.

When we finished there, we zipped home and I got my English lesson ready, threw some shrimp enchiladas together (trying to find ways to use our frozen shrimp supply - we bought 8 kgs last time), and headed to class. Finished class and zipped back home to eat fast and head to the airport. We had to go to Dondo which is 45 minutes away to get an elder, plus another on the way, and take them to the airport.


When we got there I saw Mariana and Graca, Pres. Camalizane's wife. They said, "Sister, hurry!!" and scooted me toward the door leading to security, which is inside a separate room. Maria (the cute girl that made me the earrings for us girls) had just gone through the security check and was on the other side of the conveyor belt. Graca told me to go inside but I told her that I wasn't allowed but she said "Go!!" and pushed me through. I paused in the doorway and asked the security woman if I could come in and she nodded 'yes' so I hurried in to Maria and gave her a hug across the belt. She started to cry and said, "Sister, I waited for you but you weren't here." I told her we had to drive far and got stopped by a policeman and then I started to cry too and we just held onto each other. Oh, she's a good one! I love her!! We couldn't take a picture in there but this is her from last Sunday.


Wednesday morning, we had two more elders flying out, so we made another trek to the airport. One elder wanted to have his suitcase Saran-wrapped ( I've gotta take a pic of that for y'all - it's so funny to watch them do it!) so I waited with him while Dad went to the ticket counter to get a place in line and get the other elder started. When the elder finished up, I turned to go with him to the counter and I heard, "Hey, there's a missionary." I looked over and there were four white people speaking English coming toward me and one woman says that they're from Utah and they're Mormon. She (Jessica) and the guy with them (John), both just sent their sons to the MTC last week. It turns out that Jessica's parents - her mom was with her - own a bullet manufacturing plant in Mona and John owns a gun-making business in Gunnison. They came here to hunt. For crocodile, leopard, Cape buffalo, and I'm not sure what else. They were so fun to talk to! We took a photo on Jessica's camera because I didn't have mine so I have to wait until they emerge from the bush and she has the internet to email it to me. They're the second group from Utah that's come to hunt big game. So crazy! What are the odds??


Thursday - I've finished the manual that I was using for my English class so I don't have material and have to come up with my own stuff. It's been a busy week, so I decided to play Guesstures again so they could practice their vocabulary plus they like it and best of all, it's super easy for me to prepare. ;) Here's a Marcio enthusiastically demonstrating something: 


(He's 16 and not a member, but heard about the class from his aunt, who is a member. He's so nice, smart, and has the cutest sense of humor. I love to tease him. We always start and end class with prayer and he recently volunteered to say it. It was a good prayer! I love the prayers that they say in class. They always ask Heavenly Father to help them learn English and to bless me in teaching them. It's a good thing - I need all the help I can get!!
This girl is demonstrating the word "dance." She got a few "Oohs..." when she picked the guy. ;)


 Friday, Sandi and I went capalana shopping (I know it seems like I do that a lot but it takes a lot to make clothes and other goodies for you guys!) and went to a new Chinese store that just opened up. There wasn't any parking by the store so we had to go around the block, park on the other side, and walk in the street because there was no sidewalk on one part. There we were, walking single file with the people, as chapas, cars, and trucks whipped around us, and Sandi hollers, "You know we're taking our lives in our hands." She was being tongue-in-cheek, but she was kinda right. The cars, especially the chapas, don't wait or slow down for anybody. I wanted a picture of the street, the people line, and the total craziness of it for you, but I was too busy trying to stay alive.

Saturday, we didn't have anything scheduled (hooray!) so I stayed home, did laundry, and packed. WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH AFRICA!! And I'm a little excited - ok, I'm ecstatic! For the break, for the good food, for the cleanliness, and for the SAFARI! We're going for all of the above but also for my eye which is better, but not cured from my bad eye infection. It's kinda scary - I hope it's not permanently damaged. I told Dad it won't be a very fun trip if they tell me that I'm going blind. He said it'll be a good thing that I'm gonna see everything before I go blind. "Oh Dad. Bless his heart!" So, I'm pretending my eye is fine and I'm going on an awesome vacation. ;) We're also getting our teeth checked - for the first time in over a year - and I'm getting a haircut which is just thrilling. It doesn't take much to thrill us these days. Ha! So lots of cool pictures in the next email. I hope!


Today, we visited the new branch again and I was better prepared to teach, now that I knew the President was a 'one woman show'. We had 45 kids and 11:30 - 2:30 is a long time for them to sit quietly so by 2:00 they were maxed out. So, we played 'Simao Disse' (Simon Says) cuz it worked so well in the other branch. These are my last ones standing. I should've had them flip around so you could see all the kids in the room. These guys were pretty proud of themselves for not getting tripped up.


At 4:00, we went to the piano recital that Sandy had for her students. While I was there I asked one of my tea party girls, Emilia, if I could borrow a pair of jeans because I don't have any long pants and it's supposed to be in the 50's in S. Africa. She was wearing a pair and I asked if she thought they'd fit me. She said yes but seemed a little hesitant. I said, " oh you probably need them for school." And Rudy piped up and said she was on vacation so I asked Emilia to be honest with me and tell me if it was ok for me to borrow them. When she said 'yes' again, I asked her how many pairs she had and she said, "Two." and I said "Oh, I better not take them for a week." And she said, "No Sister, I'm just going to be home for two weeks." The other girls were excited for me to try them on so we went in the bathroom and I tried them on under my dress. Stretchy jeans - one size fits all. Here we all are: Emilia is the one in the stall...


We gave them all a ride to Emilia's house so she could go in and change. When she got out, I asked if I should wait in the car or come in. I love to go in all the houses, but sometimes they're self-conscious. She kinda sighed and said, "Come on sister.", like, "If you're crazy enough to ask for my jeans, then why the heck shouldn't you come in my house?" Face with stuck-out tongue and winking eye So we all tromped in and waited while she changed. I didn't take a picture inside but here's the front door.




Some random pics:
Dad buying some bananas and tangerines.


I could hear him but I couldn't see him. I opened the window and he was right below us in the yard digging for worms and crowing up a storm!


Sweeping the classroom before English class. They used a torn page from a hymnbook as a dustpan...


Guys loading a frig to haul on their 2-wheel cart. I thought for sure it was gonna tip!



They made it!!


Somebody making a fire to stay warm in a field.


Well, it's after 1:30 - not a good way to start a trip. Sigh.... All you guys go on your trips this week too! Once again, there will be more of us out of the country than in. Chad and Chanelle, BE CAREFUL in Belize!! Brooke and Josh, Happy 10th Anniversary!! Aub, be safe and healthy in Honduras, and Jas, hope all went well with your Az. Adventure and a big Congrats again on Grad School!!!
I sure love you guys and wish I could blink you here for a few days! ~mama

No comments:

Post a Comment