Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bananas for Youth Camp‏

I had an experience last Saturday that helped to remind me to avoid being puffed up with pride in feeling
 that I am irreplaceable.  Backstory: For many years Mozambique was controlled by Portugal. On June 25,
 1975, Mozambique became a free country and expelled the Portuguese. The Portuguese had build
 the infra-structure and after they were expelled things fell apart. Generally speaking the Portuguese that
 live here are quite proud of their accomplishments. There have been several Mozambiquens called to serve 
in Portugal and to serve they need to obtain a Visa. The process of obtaining a Visa is very long, requiring 
multiple trips to the Portugal Consulant. The quickest has been eight (8) visits to the Consulant...... 
On Saturday night, August 9th, I went to the Luna Mar Resturant to place a pizza order. This is the newest 
and perhaps the nicest resturant in the city of Beira. It is owned by Sr. Lopes (even his sons refer to him as Sr. 
Lopes). He built and owns the beautiful building we live in and is from Portugal.  While I waited for the pizza
 order (Mom stayed at our apartment as we were expecting a Skype call from a senior couple serving in Swaziland). 
 I noticed that a woman who works at the Portugal Consulant was there with her husband. I thought to myself,
 isn't this great, I will talk with this women, perhaps tell her that I know Sr. Lopes and generally strengthen the
 relationship with her so that she will be easier to work with in the future. While I was thinking about all the 
good that I would be accomplishing....the woman and her husband walked within ten (10') feet of where I
 was seated. I waived toward the woman who appeared to turn her head and ignore me. The husband looked
 at me as I said "I know her". Neither one slowed down as they headed for the door.  I sat there somewhat
 stunned at what had happened. People from an adjacent table had witnessed me wave to her and speak to
 the husband. I could tell they were talking among themselves about what had happened. It was now apparent 
that my grand plans were not going to occur. Perhaps, she didn't want to mix business with social activity, 
I thought. Could it be that she viewed my actions as offensive? I waited about ten (10) more minutes for the 
pizza to be delivered. Imagine my surprise when I walked to our truck, the woman and her husband were 
standing on the sidewalk right next to where I parked.  She spoke first and apologized for not noticing me earlier
 in the resaturant. I said it was no big deal and told her husband how grateful we were for her help with the
 missionaries.  As I now entered our truck I was amazed at the turn of events.
 "O how great the holiness of our God! For he knoweth all things, and there is not anything save he knows it" 
(2 Ne. 9:20).  Once again I "said unto [myself]: Now, for this cause I know than man is nothing, which thing I 
never had supposed" (Moses 1:10).
  Beginning tomorrow (Friday-Sunday) is the first every District YM/YW (EFY) 
Camp!! Yesterday in preparation, I was asked to help pick up forty four (44) cases of bananas.
 Each case holds 18 kilos of bananas. The bananas are kept in a refrigerated container. 
The cases are sold for .10 MZN (about $.30/kilo). The stores sell them for .16 MZN/kilo.
 Women come to this location and buy a case that they then resell at the local market.
 Here are some photos of this banana adventure.....
  
These are the women heading off to the local market.
Close up of a case of bananas on her head.

Two cases of bananas

Refrigerated container with Peter Simaõ, the banana man.

Peter weighed each case before we loaded them in our trucks.


Unloading the bananas!


This is what forty four (44) cases of bananas looks like! 
 
 Each youth was entitled to two (2) bananas for helping!!
 
 
I love you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment